Thursday, October 05, 2006

This Thing Called Love


Something slipped that day
Maybe it was in the way she pulled back her hair,
It wasn't quite right,
I sat on the sidelines away from the crowd
A silent observer, I was,
I didn't miss a thing, tho'
and watched it all play out right before my eyes,
It almost seemed scripted, somehow
So predictable was each move and response,
Conversations and nuance, I felt like I'd been there before ...

Funny how there's nothing new under the sun
Day follows night as the seasons line up,
One after the other, never out of turn
Springtime, Summer then Fall just before Winter,
I wondered if they were actually metaphors, perhaps
A clue from the universe or subliminal hint,
And the only ones not listening
As we fight against the grain
With our constant uphill battles,
Are us humans with our superior brains,
Yet, with all our advantages and abilities to think
Learn from mistakes and move on,
If we're really so much smarter than the animals and birds
Then why is it, we still mess everything up?
Especially, this thing called love ...

by:ajs

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is our brains that get in the way...perhaps if we acted on spiritual knowledge or if we were more in tune with the universe and nature and less "intellectual" we would fare better. I have been reading so many poems with this same theme lately...there's somethin in the air, maybe its the Libran moon! It is the human condition, my friend! Great thought provoking poem with the title of a great song! :)
...violetcove

Anonymous said...

It has a flesh and feel to it that falls in
beauty...When did you decide to get so good?? Now that is not to say that there aren't a few parts that could
stand editing...or cutting..but the frame of it..the subtle push of it..speaks in
a dizzying voice and that, "aloha", is what poetry is all about!!( To me , of course)
Keep killing them rainbows kid..it becomes you : )
... PJM

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Okay, Alisa, this is rather deep, I love the part that you talked about as humans we need to move one and learn from our mistakes. Great piece of work and such a deep thinking idea. I like this piece and you wrote it well. Thanks for sharing. Hattie

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.